Integrating the Social and Physical/Biological Sciences
A description of the Georgia Science & Engineering Fair Special Award for the Social & Biological Sciences.
The U.S. Forest Service, Integrating Human and Natural Systems in Urban and Urbanizing Environments Research Work Unit located in Athens, Ga., will sponsor a “Special Award” at the 2013 Georgia Science and Engineering Fair. The junior (middle school) and senior level (high school) student who best demonstrate the integration of social sciences with physical and/or biological sciences will receive this award.
The general topics for consideration include:
- Evaluation of community proximity to environmental contamination or environmental amenities, e.g., an “environmental justice” analysis using both physical and social metrics
- Cost/benefit analyses of environmental remediation, or other environmental programming
- Community greening (e.g., green roof/wall designs, community gardening)
- Evaluation of land management practices
- Community watershed restoration
C. Johnson, D. Hartel
Education Programs (Public), Social and Cultural Impacts
Social Science, GSEF